If you love spaghetti but want to limit your pasta intake because of carbs, calories, or are gluten-free, then spaghetti squash is a fantastic alternative!
Aptly named, spaghetti squash mimics spaghetti as its flesh separates into spaghetti-like strands. One cup of spaghetti squash only has 42 calories, while regular pasta, on the other hand, has over 200 calories per cup. Plus, it only has 10 grams of carbohydrates per cup (a fourth of what you would get from pasta).
In addition, spaghetti squash is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and calcium.
The recipe below can be made vegetarian by simply omitting the turkey sausage.
Spaghetti Squash with Ground Turkey
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 100g ground Turkey
- feta or mozzarella cheese to taste
- fresh herbs (basil and thyme)
- 1 can spaghetti sauce (your favourite kind)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Using a spoon scoop out the seeds and insides and rub with a little olive oil. Poke a few holes in the skin and place face down on your baking rack.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for about an hour. You can check it every 10 min after 45 minutes have passed. How can you tell when it’s ready? You’ll be able to easily poke through the skin of the squash with a fork.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil and cook your ground turkey and set aside.
- Once your spaghetti squash is ready, scoop out the squash and place a layer onto a baking pan (a glass pie pan works well, too).
- Then, using 1/2 of your sauce, mix the sauce and squash together. Next, add the sausage and layer with the second half of the spaghetti squash. Top with the rest of the sauce, add salt. pepper and any fresh herbs (thyme, basil) you want then finish with a layer of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 min, until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Top with fresh basil and enjoy!
If you’re interested in other gluten-free and bone healthy recipes. Check out our Free Recipes For Stronger Bones Ebook – our Gluten-Free Quinoa Bites are a huge hit! Just fill out the information below and instantly receive your Ebook.