It’s tough to come up with ideas for meals that are delicious, nutritious, and don’t take all day to make, right?
It was for me… until I discovered the concept of nourish bowls (also called Buddha bowls, hippie bowls, or macro bowls!).
The idea behind nourish bowls is simple. You basically load a bowl full of everything you need for a well-rounded meal! You combine nutrient-dense leafy greens and veggies with your choice of healthy fats, a complex carb, and protein. And for an extra nutritious kick, you can finish off your bowl with toppings like fruits or seeds.
The great thing about these bowls is they’re super easy to prep ahead of time, and you can adjust the ingredients based on your preference!
Plus, like their name implies, nourish bowls are full of everything your body needs for fuel. The trick is to pick ingredients that provide a balance of all the nutrients your body craves.
And, of course, the nourish bowl I’m sharing with you today contains a perfect balance of bone-healthy nutrients!
In my version of a nourish bowl, you get:
- Loads of essential minerals and vitamins (calcium included!) from a combination of leafy greens, raw vegetables, and sesame seeds.
- Bone-building protein from egg and cheese.
- Inflammation-fighting antioxidants from fresh blueberries, pesto, and whole grains.
- Healthy fats from avocado and extra virgin olive oil.
Here’s how it works:
Bone-Building Nourish Bowls
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp carrot grated
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp cheese grated
- 2.5 ounces avocado (half an avocado)
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp pesto to top
- 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
- Start by prepping your ingredients!
- Cook your brown rice as per package instructions.
- Place your egg in a pot and add cold water until the whole egg is covered and there’s an additional 1 inch of water on top. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover. Remove from heat and set aside for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl of cold water to cool. Once cool, you can peel your egg.
- Wash all your fruits and veggies. Grate your carrots and cheese, and slice your avocado.
- Once all your ingredients are prepped, it’s time to assemble your bowl. Start by placing your rice at the bottom of the bowl. Then, make it look pretty by arranging the rest of your ingredients separately on top— like I do in the video!
- Squeeze half a lemon over your bowl and finish with a drizzle of olive oil!
Nourish Bowl Final Thoughts
This recipe is so versatile, and a great option for when you need a quick answer to the “dinner” question!
You can easily make it your own too by switching in ingredients— just make sure you maintain a balanced ratio of nutrients like I described in the infographic above.
Better still, if you have a spare moment, you can prep all these ingredients ahead of time. That way, when you’re short on time, you’ll have everything you need to put together a delicious, nutritious meal in just a couple minutes!
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and I’d love to hear what you put in your bowl! Share your ideas with me in the comments below. 🙂