Everyone I know has at least one guilty pleasure when it comes to fast food. And mine is, without doubt, chicken strips.
As a child, I ate them more often than I’d like to admit. But as I grew older and wiser I realized they weren’t the healthiest choice. Especially when dipped in sauces that are high in salt, sugar, and not much else.
So I set out to find a version that would not only satisfy my cravings, but give me peace of mind — and these homemade Crispy Chicken Fingers do just that! They’re delicious and nutritious (bone-healthy, even)! Not to mention super easy to make.
The chicken fingers themselves pack in bone-strengthening, muscle-supporting potassium and protein. And when dipped in the homemade tzatziki, you get an extra boost of calcium. See exactly how much below!
They’re guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser, fun for both young and old, and perfect as both an appetizer and main dish. So what are you waiting for? Treat yourself (and your loved ones) to these bone-healthy Crispy Chicken Fingers today! And feel free to dunk them into a generous amount of dip, guilt-free 🙂
Crispy Chicken Fingers
- 2 cups corn flakes cereal
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 lbs organic chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large resealable bag, combine the cereal, Parmesan, parsley (if using), paprika, and salt.
- Using a rolling pin, bottom of a pan, or your own creative method, crush into a coarse mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites and water in a shallow dish.
- Cut chicken into strips. Tip: Cut against the grain to increase tenderness.
- Dip your chicken in the egg whites, shaking off any excess. Coat in the cereal mixture by shaking in the bag, 1-2 tenders at a time.
- Arrange the tenders in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and crispy, flipping halfway. Serve with tzatziki dip!
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt, full fat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen dill, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Pat the diced cucumber with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Combine cucumber with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for around 1 hour before serving to let the flavors meld. Refrigerate overnight for even better flavor!
Crispy Chicken Fingers Takeaways
Turning unhealthy foods into nutritious, bone-healthy recipes can be hard… but so very worth it!
I’m so glad I found this recipe and can’t wait for you to try it! Let me know how your Crispy Chicken Fingers turn out in the comments section below. And I’d love to hear how you’ve turned some of your “guilty pleasures” into guilt-free treats 🙂
PS: Kids have a smashing time with step 3 of the Crispy Chicken Fingers recipe… include them in the prep, and they’ll love the recipe even more!