I must confess that before 6 months ago, I had never tried brussels sprouts in my life! The first time was at the famous Jean Georges Steakhouse in Las Vegas. I remember the flavor and texture being enhanced by a balsamic reduction and chopped walnuts – I was in love. Who thought the star of a meal could be a side of brussels sprouts?! After that night, all I could think about was recreating my own version and fortunately, it only took me a couple of tries to perfect it. This dish is simple, has little prep time, and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 1 1/2 lb brussels sprouts cut in half through the core
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4-6 bacon sliced, diced
- 1/2 cup pecan and walnut mix coarsely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix brussels sprouts and shallot in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour onto a baking pan and spread diced bacon evenly on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Then rotate and flip the sprouts and bake for another 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, spread pecan and walnut mix evenly on another baking pan and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a serving bowl and toss with balsamic vinegar.
- Check for seasoning and serve!