Halibut is a lean fish known for its mild flavor profile. With that in mind, this recipe pairs it with tomatoes and capers, which are more powerful in taste, to create a complimentary dish. Capers are a storehouse of vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin K, niacin and riboflavin. The mighty tomato boasts antioxidant properties such as folic acid, beta-carotene, and lutein.
photo by finecooking.com
Halibut with Tomatoes & Capers
- 1 tbsp olive oil cold-pressed extra virgin
- 1 yellow onion organic, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic organic, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes organic, diced
- 1 tbsp capers
- 4 halibut fillets oceanwise
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and capers, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce into a baking dish.
- Season the halibut fillets with salt and pepper and place them in a baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the fish and bake until the fish is just cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.