This year, I decided enough is enough…
I love pecan pie. But the problem is, traditional pecan pie isn’t exactly healthy. And while there’s nothing wrong with a little indulgence on occasion, I often can’t help but feel guilty afterward.
So I set out to create a healthy version that I can enjoy guilt-free…
The result is this “Bone-Healthy Pecan Pie” recipe!
Now, this isn’t a traditional pecan pie. There’s no refined sugar and no crust. (I told you it was healthy!) Instead, it’s naturally sweetened with honey, and the pecan mixture itself works as the crust. The mixture is held together with almond flour and egg whites, so the pie may be a little thinner than you’re used to. But it’s no less delicious!
And the best part? Pecans are a bone health superstar! They’re loaded with five of the essential bone-supporting minerals: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. What’s more, they contain vitamins C and E — two powerful inflammation-fighting antioxidants.
So this is a pie you can feel good about indulging in for your waistline and your bones! Top it off with your choice of fruit and enjoy…
Bone-Healthy Pecan Pie
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- blueberries to garnish (or your choice of topping!)
- Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and greasing a 9-inch pie pan.
- Then, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add in your almond flour and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, for about 8-10 minutes until the mixture is toasted. Set your pan aside to cool.
- Next, separate three egg whites into a bowl and beat them until they start to stiffen.
- When your egg whites start to stiffen, pour in the honey in three batches, making sure to beat well after each addition.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the toasted almond flour mixture, baking soda, and pecans.
- Take your egg whites and gently fold them into the dry mixture.
- Pour your mixture into the greased pie pan.
- Pop your pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until your pie is lightly browned. Let it cool and serve it with your choice of toppings!
Pecan Pie Takeaways
There’s nothing humble about this pie. It’s delicious, packed full of bone-healthy nutrients, and free of refined sugar and refined flour. So you don’t have to feel guilty about this dessert. In fact, you can feel good about it!
When it comes to toppings, I used local, organic blueberries in the video. But you’re welcome to swap in your favorite fruit! This would also be delicious with some Greek yogurt. Or even, for a special treat, a dollop of naturally sweetened whipped cream.
So go ahead and make this yummy pecan pie your own! And as always, I’d love to hear how your dessert turns out. Please share with me in the comments below and happy baking. 🙂