Whenever I’m craving a delicious salad that’s hearty, fresh, and nutritious… I think of this recipe. It ticks all the boxes and is the perfect blend of flavor and color… and that isn’t even the best part.
This salad is jam-packed with potassium. There’s a whopping 1232 mg per serving… that’s like eating 3 bananas! Potassium is crucial for bone health, and it helps lower blood pressure, reduces muscle cramps, and more.
You’ll also get plenty of bone-healthy magnesium thanks to the black beans, sweet potato, and avocado.
And by including black beans and chicken, you get a protein boost! You might know that protein is vital for muscle growth, but did you know that it helps build strong bones?
Filled with bone-healthy ingredients, easy to make, and “by far the yummiest salad” (says my husband), there are so many things to love about this recipe. So let’s get started!
Southwestern Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 sweet potatoes medium
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ear corn husked or ¾ cup canned corn, drained
- 15 oz black beans rinsed & drained
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 avocados
- 2 limes juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse, peel, and cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch slices. In a large bowl, toss with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt & pepper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Add the ear of corn, if using. Roast until tender (around 30 minutes). Set aside once cooked.
- Cut the chicken breast into strips.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and pan-roast the chicken until cooked through and starting to brown. Set aside.
- Wash all produce. Chop the red pepper, onions, and cilantro. Pit and slice the avocados.
- Once cool to touch, use a sharp knife to remove the corn kernels from the cob.
- Gently mix together all ingredients except the chicken. Arrange the chicken slices on top.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
This colorful salad is perfect year-round and is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. It’s easy to make, packs in mega amounts of potassium, and is a good source of magnesium and protein.
I hope you like this Southwestern Chicken Salad recipe. And as always, let me know how it turns out in the comments section below!
Add New Comment